Monday, March 11, 2013

Sock Puppets and Storytelling

In the past, I tried using Sock Puppets for a class activity.  I blogged about it HERE.  There were some problems and I haven't had the students use the Sock Puppets app since then.  However, I forgot to mention the other way I had used the Sock Puppets app in the past.

In class, the students help me to create stories fairly often.  For something different, I used the Sock Puppets app to retell the story, however I changed a few facts about the story.  The students listened to the story and had to list the things that were different from the story told by the Sock Puppet compared to our story that we created in class.  It was a short activity but because the students were listening to a Sock Puppet, it seemed to catch their attention more than if I had just read the story to them with the changes.

Another plus, it was a breeze to make.  You don't need any tricky tech skills to be able to create something using the Sock Puppets app.
CLICK HERE to see the short video.


Some hard core language teachers may not like that the puppet changes the voice of the person speaking, so it does not sound very Spanish.  I don't see it as a problem as long as it is used sparingly.

The Sock Puppets app is for the iPad, the iPhone, and the iPod touch.  It is a free app but if you want more than 30 seconds of recording time, you will need to pay a small fee to upgrade the app.

No comments:

Post a Comment