Friday, March 9, 2012

Using Videos with TPRS - 3

My Spanish 5 students have been working on a short story by Miguel Unamuno, Spanish modismos, and a global collaborative project. After a week of those types of activities, I knew it was time to include another opportunity to learn through the use of videos.

I've had the following commercials clips on file waiting for the right moment and that was on Thursday. First, the video clips...
































Here are several ideas of how to encourage conversation... the main reason I use videos.
In my opinion, the best way to work with these 3 short clips is to hit pause right before the twist is revealed, then...
- Describe the setting
- Identify objects
- Teacher asks sts true/false or short answer questions
- Decide as a class additional bits of information that have led up to the event or develop the characters:
What is the person's occupation?
What is the romantic dinner celebrating? What dinner is he preparing?
Where does he/she live?
Why is the man in the hospital? Was he in an accident? Did he have a surgery?
Is the man walking the dog single or married?
Does he have children? Why didn't the children walk the dog?
How old is the girl at the park?
- and, the obvious, ask the sts to guess what will happen next. By now, my students know that if I'm showing them a video it's most likely because there is a surprise ending. I tell them to be creative in their answers, and I repeated "sean creativos" enough times on Thursday that the students guessed some of the endings.

I'm sure there are some other activities that my students and I could do with these advertisements, so please feel free to share your thoughts with me if you have been inspired.

This video actually has five different clips. I used the website: http://www.embedplus.com/ to crop the video to contain only 3 segments.

No comments:

Post a Comment