Thursday, December 1, 2011

Introducing the "YO" form

Most of the TPRS stories I use from our book, or that I write from our class stories, are focused on the él/ella form of verbs. It was easy to add the ellos/ellas/usteded and the tú form in questioning. However, I thought it was time to introduce the students to the YO form. I use the YO form in class when I answer one of my questions but I'm not sure how much the students are picking up on the ending.

Fortunately, I came across the video Chato el chico peruano last month. I wanted the students to be actively engaged when they watched it. In order to accomplish that, I told the students to stand up when they heard someone say something about himself, and they had to remain standing until the next time they heard someone say something about himself. I had to help them with verbs like SOY the first time they heard it, but they caught on quickly. Since they were concentrating on listening for the next time a character said something about him/herself, it distracted them from the fact that the speaker talks s-l-o-w-l-y and repeats himself (as he should to enable the students the understand what he is saying).

No comments:

Post a Comment